How can I improve my gas mileage?
Even when gas prices are low, no one wants to spend more than they have to at the pump. Lakeside Toyota has some tips to help you save on gas and get the best performance out of your vehicle!
- Slow down! The optimal speed for every car’s gas efficiency is usually lower than the speed limit, and the fuel required to go faster than 70 MPH increases exponentially. You can save money on gas AND traffic tickets if you stick to the speed limit.
- Don’t store heavy items in your car. Cars weigh about 2500 lbs or more, so just 100 lbs of cargo is a 5% increase in weight, and another person is almost 10%.
- Start and stop slower. Getting your car moving from a stop uses more gasoline than increasing speed, so trying to be the first through an intersection will cost you more than you think. On a similar note, taking stops more slowly will help you save money on brake pads.
- Use your cruise control. Your cruise control is designed to keep your car at the given speed in the most efficient way. You’d be surprised how much keeping a constant speed will make a difference!
- Keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Underinflation causes tires to “stick” to the ground, which causes more wear and lower MPG. Keep your tires at the recommended pressure and don’t over-inflate them — a couple extra PSI won’t make too much of a difference, but more than that can affect the life of your tires and your car’s handling.
- Fill up your gas at night or early morning. Gas pumps are designed to measure output by volume and gasoline contracts in cold weather, so you get more gas in each gallon!
If you think your vehicle should be getting better fuel efficiency, you can give our service center a call at 504-576-9802, come in to visit us at 3701 North Causeway Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002, or schedule your appointment online. Interested in purchasing a new vehicle? Check out our new and pre-owned vehicle inventory!